Sunday, March 15, 2009

A new home for my blog





Well, this is the first post on my new blog site and the first post in a number of weeks. Those who have followed the other blog on "Not all Faeries are Beautiful" will know that I have had some fairly major surgery recently but things are finally getting back on track in the studio and new work will be appearing soon. Thanks to everyone who sent well wishes.....I was so very touched and grateful to receive them.
I've made a few decisions regarding this new blog.....it will be mainly studio related (as it has always been) but I'll be treating it more like a diary than before. Some posts are likely to be wordy and quite possibly boring to anyone but me, but there will still be lots of wip photos and pics of other stuff that I find interesting. I'll be aiming for regular posts, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to fit 'computer time' into my day. In fact, that's the main reason I've changed my blog location.....this is more portable, I can take my lap-top to bed and post from there if need be. In any case, there will be large gaps where I don't post anything.....do not be alarmed :)
So, yesterday was spent checking out a few Fringe events in Adelaide. I found Tom Moore's beautiful glass creatures at the Jam Factory gallery just stunning.....beautiful and joyous.
Pity I can't say the same for the Helpman Academy graduates exhibition. A couple of the pieces were interesting, but I was really propelled right back to when I was at art school and everything I hated about it. I'm not sure if it's an age thing, but I just can't be bothered anymore trying to wade through the quagmire of 'concept' art, particularly when there is no technical skill evident. Of course, this is only my opinion and I am always open for and interested in discussion but, I found it all a bit depressing. I did enjoy the piece called "Wake me if I'm sleeping" mainly because I like dark tunnels and there was a bit of a horror movie element about it......not what was intended I'm sure.
We also visited "Body Arts", a small but interesting showcase for special effects make-up, sculpture and art. I met Corrie Emery in person after conversing via e-mail and phone and am looking forward to his help with the mould making for my HUGE Griffon project.
After dodging the rain we ended up in the Garden of Unearthly Delights which I have to say is just that and more for me. I love the blend of carnival tackiness and artsy sleaze (I mean that in a good way) and this year there was an amazing looking giant contraption that appears to do something with oranges.....it wasn't operating when we were there, but Guy and I will be back there Friday night, so fingers crossed!
There was also- wonder of wonders- a barnyard freakshow! Still stung by the profound disappointment of the "Odditorium" a few years back, I didn't go in (maybe Friday night) but I did get some shots of the tent artwork.....I just LOVE this stuff!
There was also a beautiful carousel unicorn hoisted above one of the tents.
Well, that's about all for now,
till next time.

3 comments:

  1. Lorell~It's great to see your blog~I'll add it to the artists that I admire (because I do you: )
    Pat~

    My blog is ~
    http://odd-dolls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorell, I am glad to see you blogging to share with the world again. I admire your art so much. Hope you are on the road to good health. Congrats on the new blog home and will look forward to seeing your new web site when you have it ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across your new blog and have to say i am instantly in love with your creations, truly stunning pieces. hope you are soon feeling very much better

    ReplyDelete